Cree LED Revolution Blog
Cree and LED lighting are starting a revolution
July 13th, 2012
About 6 weeks ago, we kicked off the Cree Lighting the LED Revolution Tour 2012. We’ve packed the house in Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston, Philadelphia and Detroit and next week we pick back up again in Indianapolis and Louisville. Don’t worry—those aren’t all the cities in the tour. We’re heading out across the entire country to show you the benefits of Cree® interior and exterior LED lighting products and teach you how LED technology will impact your design projects and your profitability!
So what are we showcasing at the Cree Lighting the LED Revolution Tour? The answer is simple. All of the awesome Cree indoor and outdoor lighting products, including XSP Series street lights, Aeroblades™ area lights, The EDGE® High Output, SR6™ downlights, CS18™ linear luminaires and the CR Series troffers. These are all products that Cree has recently launched and past attendees have said that they loved seeing these newly launched products up close and getting their questions answered by Cree staff, who by the way are attending each stop in the Tour.
In the cities we’ve stopped in so far, attendees have a lot of great things to say about the Cree Lighting the LED Revolution Tour. Here is just some of the awesome feedback we’ve heard when asked what the best part of the Tour was:
After seeing that kind of rocking feedback, what more do you need to know about the Cree Lighting the LED Revolution Tour. Take some time to check out the Cree Lighting the LED Revolution Tour in a city near you. You won’t be disappointed!
For more information or to register for an event in a city near you, please visit: http://www.cree.com/creelightingtour
May 24th, 2012
You are invited to experience industry-leading Cree® LED lighting built on proven, revolutionary technology and learn about the newest offerings in the Cree LED lighting portfolio.
I bet you’re asking yourself where in the world can I do such a thing? Well, we have the answer for you—The Cree Lighting the LED Revolution® Tour. We want you to join us in a city near you to see Cree interior and exterior LED lighting products and learn how LED technology will impact your design projects and your profitability!
Anyone and everyone is invited to attend the Cree Lighting the LED Revolution Tour.
We plan on featuring and displaying the new Cree indoor and outdoor lighting—XSP Series street lights, Aeroblades™ area lights, The EDGE® High Output, SR6™ downlights, CS18™ linear luminaires and the CR Series troffers. These are all products that Cree has recently launched and we want you to come experience what these products have to offer your design projects.
We will be stopping in 25 cities nationwide over the next 24 weeks. That’s a lot of cities and we hope that one is close by so you can make a point to swing by the Cree Lighting the LED Revolution Tour.
You should attend the Cree Lighting the LED Revolution Tour to learn how Cree LED lighting products will increase your profitability and provide high-performance, optimal illumination with lower total cost for end users. Plus, attendees will learn how Cree LED lighting products use BetaLED® Technology & Cree TrueWhite® Technology to improve performance and drive payback.
For more information visit: cree.com/creelightingtour
May 11th, 2012
We’ve got a lot of products and information about our services packed into our LED Components and Modules booth this year. Cree Product Marketing Manager Paul Scheidt shows you a few of this year’s highlights, including:
May 10th, 2012
At Lightfair, you never know what kind of questions visitors will have when they come to your booth. So we’re used to being able to speak about our LED lighting products at the drop of the hat. So when I told Gary Trott, one of our product development innovators, that I wanted him to give a quick video tour of our booth, he didn’t hesitate.
There’s a lot of ground to cover in our booth this year, since it’s the first year we’re showcasing indoor and outdoor LED lighting products. Gary took a few minutes to highlight some of our LED lighting products today including:
- New features in our CR Series Troffers
- CS18 LED Linear Luminaire
- Our new lighting control and delivery system featuring Lutron EcoSystem® technology.
- SR6 LED Architectural Downlight
- XSP Series Streetlight
- Traditional Post-Top LED Upgrade Kit
Take a look:
Of course, we’re showcasing much more at our booth this year. If you’re at Lightfair, hopefully you’ll have a chance to see for yourself. To get a personal booth tour from Gary, stop by our Tweetup at 2:30 p.m. Thursday at booth #3008. For those of you who aren’t at Lightfair this year, we hope this helps you catch a glimpse of what we’re showcasing.
May 8th, 2012
When you go to Lightfair, you tend to look up. You look up to see the latest luminaires illuminating the sea of booths lining the Las Vegas Convention Center. But you can rest your neck a little when you come by the Cree LED Components and Modules booth #130 this year.
That’s because we’ll have a number of table-top displays that will let you experience Cree’s XLamp LEDs and modules up close. For many of you, this will be your first chance to see some of our newest LEDs built on the SC3 Technology Platform, which allows us to create the brightest and most efficient LEDs on the planet, as well as our most advanced LED modules.
Here are some highlights of what you’ll see at our booth:
- Our Entire LED Portfolio: If you’ve ever wondered how our XLamp LEDs compare in size and design, you’ll get to see for yourself. We’ve got them all on display in our booth!
- Reference Designs Galore: Our entire booth is lit with Cree Reference Designs, letting you see how our XLamp LEDs and Modules can be integrated into real-world LED luminaires. Yes, you’ll have to look up to see some of them, but it will be worth it because you’ll leave inspired. Can’t wait? Download our reference designs now.
- XT-E and XM-L High Voltage LEDs: If you’re not up to speed on our new SC3 Technology Platform, you’ll want to ask one of the LED geeks on booth duty about our advanced silicon carbide technology. Through advancements in LED chip architecture and phosphor and a new package design, you’ll want to see how our SC3 Technology delivers the most advanced LED components in the industry. Our new XT-E and XM-L High Voltage LEDs showcase the technology beautifully.
- Xlamp MTG-2 LEDs: If you’re looking to build an LED luminaire that kicks halogen to the curb, then you must see our new MT-G2 LED in action. As the first EasyWhite LED array built on the SC3 Technology Platform, the MTG-2 LED delivers LED lighting manufacturers 25 percent brighter LEDs compared to the previous MT-G, enabling a wider spectrum of high lumen applications. You’ll see how it compares to MR16 and AR111 halogen applications. Warning: After you see this you may want to proceed straight to the lab and start building your own halogen replacement.
- LMH2 LED Module with New Dome Lens & Universal Driver: Looking for a way to quickly knock out ceramic metal halide lighting? Lightfair goers will be among the first people in the world to see how our new LED modules enable true 50 watt and 70 watt ceramic metal halide LED replacements, thanks in part to new lens which delivers an unrivalled hemispheric light pattern.
After seeing these modules, you’ll have a hard time looking at ceramic metal halide lighting without visions of LED lighting dancing in your head.
- High Performance LMH2 LED Module: You’ll also get to see our new 2,000 and 3,000 lumen output options, which deliver better performance, longer lifetime and lower system cost than comparable compact fluorescents in commercial lighting. You’ll be in a module wonderland.
- Details on Cree’s TEMPO Services: We’re invested in seeing our customer’s end products succeed. Lightfair offers a great chance to talk to someone from Cree about how our Thermal, Electrical, Mechanical, Photometric and Optical services can help LED lighting manufacturers overcome design challenges and bring quality products to market faster.
No doubt, someone at our booth will be excited to tell you about our Durham Technology Center, which was recently accredited by The National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program.
Can you believe there’s even more than this to see at our LED Components and Modules booth? See for yourself at booth #130. Want a personal tour? Make plans to attend our tweetup at 11 a.m. Thursday, May 10. We’ll see you there!
May 8th, 2012
For the first time, Cree’s lighting booth at Lightfair will feature both indoor and outdoor lighting, and you won’t want to miss either.
For many of you, Lightfair offers the first chance to see the outdoor lighting products Cree launched since acquiring Ruud Lighting last year. And boy has it been a busy year.
Some of the outdoor LED lighting products we’ll be showcasing at our booth #3008 include:
- Cree XSP Series Street Light: Our most affordable and efficient LED street light, the XSP Series is designed to speed payback to municipalities. It’s the high-pressure sodium street light buster, using nearly 50 percent less energy than that wasteful, traditional street light; and it’s designed to last three times longer too. Come see why this LED street light is the ideal choice for cities and municipalities looking to save money and resources.
- Aeroblades: If you want to see where industry-leading LED innovation and high design meet, stop by our booth and head straight for our Aeroblades display. Designed and engineered with Speirs + Major, one of the world’s leading lighting design firms, the Aeroblades luminaire series takes a bold approach to architectural street, area and security lighting. You’ll know why as soon as you see it.
- Cree Traditional Post-Top LED Upgrade Kit: If you’re coming to Lightfair looking for a way to lower operating costs for outdoor lighting, be sure to check out our new LED Upgrade Kit. Our Upgrade Kit seamlessly transforms existing, inefficient luminaires into energy-efficient lighting, low-maintenance LED luminaires.
We’ll also be featuring a variety of our indoor LED lighting products at Lightfair including:
- Cree CS Series LED Linear Luminaire: Our new high-efficacy suspended linear luminaire offers fast payback to low bay lighting applications. Using 40 to 50 percent less energy than comparable linear fluorescents, the CS Series LED Linear Luminaire delivers an unmatched performance combination of up to 120 lumens per watt, 90 CRI and 75,000 hour lifetime. This is unlike any other linear fluorescent or LED lighting solution on the market!
- Cree CR Series LED Troffer: Our CR Series made its debut at last year’s Lightfair in Philadelphia. This year it’s bigger, better, faster and even more affordable. The new CR Troffer addresses more applications and eliminates the use of antiquated fluorescent technology in new or retrofit commercial and industrial settings. We also recently announced new pricing to drive even faster payback for building contractors, designers and owners.
- Cree SR Series Architectural Downlight: Just this month we announced an extension in our family of the world’s most efficient downlights, with our revolutionary SR Series LED Architectural Downlight. This six-inch LED architectural luminaire features modern design, high color quality and double the efficacy of fluorescent technology. It uses 85 percent less energy and is designed to last up to 30 times longer than comparable incandescent lighting! The Cree lighting booth isn’t the only place in Vegas to see this downlight in action. Stop by our booth and ask about our installation at Caesars Palace!
- Cree KR Series LED Downlight: After you see our new KR Series, you may be hard-pressed to come up with a reason to specify a CFL downlight again. This is the industry’s first LED downlight designed to deliver specification-grade lighting performance with pricing to match the everyday price of incumbent technology fluorescent grade downlights. With initial models designed to replace 18 and 26 watt fluorescent downlights, the KR Series is at least 35 percent more efficient than incumbent fluorescents and is designed to last up to five times longer.
Of course, that’s not all. We’ve got even more outdoor and indoor LED lighting options illuminating our Lightfair booth this year! Come by and see them all, or make plans to get a personal booth tour during our LED Lighting Tweetup at 2:30 p.m. Thursday, May 10 at Booth #3008.
May 2nd, 2012
We feel like we have a special bond with our Twitter followers. Each day we see their avatars and 140-character thoughts appear on our @Cree and @CreeLEDs Twitter streams. And yet, rarely do we have a chance to connect in real life. We’re changing that at Lightfair this year!
You’re invited to our Lightfair Tweetups! Yes, Tweetups. Plural!
WHO: Tweeps! Anyone who follows us on Twitter or anyone who is on Twitter and attending Lightfair. Basically, if you have a Twitter account you should attend. Not on Twitter? Join today at Twitter.com and then follow Cree lighting AND Cree LEDs.
WHAT: Cree Lighting Tweetup AND Cree LED Components and Modules Tweetup! Yes, we have two booths at Lightfair this year. The Cree Lighting Booth #3008 showcases all of our indoor and outdoor LED lighting products. The Cree LED Components and Modules Booth #130 features all of our XLamp LEDs and LED modules.
Stop by the Tweetups (come to one or come to both) to meet other Twitter users who care about Lighting and get a personal tour of our booths. Come early. The first five people to arrive at each Tweetup will get some cool Cree gear! We’ll have something for the rest of our tweeps too!
WHEN: The Cree LED Components and Modules Tweetup (aka @CreeLEDs on Twitter) is 11 a.m. Thursday, May 10 at Booth #130.
The Cree LED Lighting Tweetup (aka @Cree on Twitter) is 2:30 p.m. Thursday, May 10 at Booth #3008.
WHERE: At each of our respective booths. Cree Lighting = Booth #3008. Cree LEDs = Booth #130.
WHY: At Lightfair, everyone has something in common – their interest in Light. But there’s a group of us who have even more in common – their interest in Lighting and Twitter. If you’re one of those people who knows what #Lightfair means, you won’t want to miss our tweetups. Come out to mingle with each other and learn more about what we’re showcasing at Lightfair this year!
Plan on attending? Drop us a note in the comments section below with your Twitter handle so everyone knows they’ll get to tweet up with you.
Tweet you at Lightfair!
April 20th, 2012
Today’s guest blog post is by Timothy Henning, Cree’s ENERGY STAR program manager.
Earth Day offers us all a reminder to ask ourselves: Am I doing all I can to save energy? Is there more I could be doing? Chances are there are a few easy steps you could take right now to conserve more energy in your day-to-day life.
Not sure what? The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers a number of programs that make it easier to save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. One of those programs is ENERGY STARs Across America.
Finding out what habits you can change or even what habits your neighbors are changing is as easy as clicking a button. The EPA website contains an interactive “ENERGY STARs Across America” map that highlights energy-saving educational events being held across America that you can participate in. This interactive map also helps you visualize how many people and organizations around the world are participating in the movement.
If you’re not interested in attending an event, you can still make a change in the comfort of your own home by taking the ENERGY STAR Pledge. When you pledge, you are making a commitment to save energy and money, and to help protect the environment by taking energy-saving actions in your home, such as:
- Changing a light to an ENERGY STAR-qualified LED model. Cree has qualified over 48 unique SKUs through the ENERGY STAR program to date! You can visit our website to see the wide variety of lighting products that Cree offers. Additionally, you can go to your nearest Home Depot and check out the ENERGY STAR-qualified EcoSmart 4” and 6” recessed LED downlights.
- Enabling your computer to power down when not in use.
- Installing and using a programmable thermostat correctly with pre-programmed settings.
- Choosing products that have earned the ENERGY STAR rating, and more.
To date, more than 2.8 million people nationwide have pledged to take small, energy-saving steps that can change the world. If every American household took part in the pledge, we would save $24 billion in annual energy costs and prevent greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions from 27 million cars.
Take the ENERGY STAR Pledge now, and join with millions of Americans who are taking small steps that make a big difference in helping to prevent climate change. Thank you for your support!
April 18th, 2012
As Cree and the lighting industry work to change the way we light the world, we felt it was important to have a symbol people could point to and say “that means LED light.”
Today, we are thrilled to say that symbol exists! Introducing the new symbol for LED lighting:
We’re also introducing symbols for 14 other energy-efficient technologies:
2012 Iconathon for Energy Efficiency
The Feb. 25 event at Cree’s campus in Durham, NC, was led by the co-founders of The Noun Project, a website that serves as a free online visual dictionary of symbols and icons that can be downloaded by anyone for anything.
The Noun Project co-founders agreed it was time to create a new symbol for LED light, as well as symbols for other recent developments in energy-efficiency, including wind farms, solar farms and even energy audits.
How They Were Made
So Cree invited graphic designers and anyone interested in LED lighting and energy efficiency to spend a Saturday at Cree sketching out new symbols. Noun Project co-founder Edward Boatman facilitated the day-long collaborative work shop. The nearly 40 attendees split into groups and began sketching symbols. At the end of the day, all the symbols were laid out side-by-side for a critique led by Edward. Attendees had a chance to offer feedback on all 15 symbols. Watch how the day unfolded here:
Should It Look Like A Light Bulb?
The critique of the LED symbol lasted nearly an hour. Two basic perspectives on the design emerged. There were those who felt it was essential that the LED light symbol take on the same characteristics of a traditional light bulb or CFL. That meant incorporating an Edison base into the designs and, for the most part, keeping the “snow cone” bulb shape many LED light bulbs have taken on. These designers felt this approach would help the public more easily identify the new symbol for LED lighting.
Should It Simply Look Like An LED?
Then there were those who felt like the symbol for LED light should not be constrained to the light bulb form since LEDs are so versatile. These designers felt the symbol for LED light should look more like an LED component and less like a fixture. They believed that even though the public might not immediately recognize a symbol like this, it was more important that the universal symbol reflect the LED light source itself.
And The Winner Is…
Despite these two strong, different opinions, after an hour of debate the designers ultimately reached consensus and agreed the symbol should not look like a light bulb. Edward worked with volunteers from each group to make the design modifications specified in the critique. He then modified and digitized the symbols. They are being released exclusively on the thenounproject.com for public download under a Creative Commons license.
Our hope is these new symbols become the go-to images for the Lighting, Energy-Efficiency and Design industries. We’d love to see the new symbol for LED lighting become as universal as the first aid or no smoking symbols.
These symbols for LED light and other energy-saving technologies are yours to use. Download them all here.
April 17th, 2012
One of the world’s biggest events for the lighting industry began Sunday in Frankfurt, Germany. Light+Building brings together over 1,500 manufacturers who present the entire spectrum of lighting technology at the same time and place.
If you’re looking to take a walk down memory lane, make sure you swing by the Cree lighting booth as we showcase the history of our innovations. Attendees will be able to view products recently launched, such as Aeroblades™ and XSP Series and travel back in time to 2007 when THE EDGE™ debuted.
The vast array of Cree lighting outdoor products being shown at Light+Building ranges from Aeroblades™ area lighting to SLM™ and XSP Series street lighting to 227 and 304 Series™ canopy lighting. There’s a lot to take in and that doesn’t even include the Cree lighting indoor products like the CR80 accent, CR22 troffer, LR200 downlights and LRP38 lamps.
Make sure you take the time to swing by the Cree lighting stand Hall 5.0, Stand C52 and learn why Cree continues to lead the industry in breakthrough lighting products. We are investing in the LED lighting industry, so come check out how Cree is driving LED lighting this week in Frankfurt, Germany at Light+Building.
And if you have time this evening, Tuesday, April 17th, make sure to swing by the Cree Lighting stand between 17:00 and 19:00 for our customer event. We’ll show you how Cree is driving LED Lighting!